Home

Who are we

Our story, full of unexpected twists and turns, started in 1988. As is usual in a love story, we had no idea what we were walking into. But the Savigny family, François, Muriele, Simon, Serge and Colin jumped head first into an adventure that was supposed to last only a few years. Just the time necessary to restore the lovely old Château that had long been abandoned by the previous owners.
After 15 years of major work, carried out meticulously by the family members, the Château was opened to the public for seminars and marriages. The grand old building could finally return to it roots as a place for meetings and shared moments.
The Château has for centuries been a focal point for the village and its inhabitants. Very open and welcoming, it has long served for parties, balls and marriages. Its near destruction in July 2004 in a terrible fire caused by lightning traumatised the entire village.
That is one reason why François Savigny decided to devote himself full time to its reconstruction. Acting as both project manager and main contractor, he coordinated the work of numerous subcontractors and undertook with his own two hands the stone masonry, plaster work, plumbing, electricity, carpentry and cabinetwork, and still more.
A solidarity movement grew up around the renovation efforts and took the form of an association whose goal was to create an auditorium for concerts, theatre, etc., called the Contoir du Montalieu.

HISTORY OF THE CHÂTEAU DU MONTALIEU

The first known mention of a "strong house" in Montalieu dates back to 1339. At that time, it belonged to the de Bellecombe family.
In 1413, Antoine de Bellecombe paid tribute for the house to the Dauphin Louis II, the future king Louis XI.
According to legal documents, the strong house in Montalieu was sold to Chevalier de Bouttières on 16 May 1528.
It was certainly around this period that the main section of the Château was built or at least considerably reorganised.
The Château then became the property of the Prunier de Saint André family, whose coat of arms may be seen on the fireplace back plate, dated 1741, in the main room on the ground floor.
At the end of the 1800s, the Marcieu family decided to transform the building into a mansion with two square towers and two bartizans, one of which collapsed in the 1950s.
Finally, in 1988, the Savigny family acquired the Château du Montalieu, in state of almost total ruin.
A first renovation, taking pains to respect the buildings and the site, received public recognition in 2000 in the form of two prizes from the Amis du Grésivaudan association, the first for the restoration of the fountain and the basin, the second for the Château itself.
Then, in July 2004, lightning struck and a fire almost completely destroyed the building. That disaster was followed by five years of daily labour on a renovation project combining modern techniques with traditional materials.
Today, the Château du Montalieu has risen up from its ashes and is once again open to the public, offering even more services, but always in the same spirit, respectful of the history and the identity of the site.